Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Places Between review


So I bought this off iTunes. I love buying things off iTunes, just to see all the files in a list, ready to download. Remind me to printscreen it later. Deluxe edition, of course; different artwork from the other version. It also came with a bonus "disc" of fantastic B-sides as well as about 13 music videos! It was such a bargain for somebody like me; only familiar with a few songs from Doves and not willing to buy all four albums. This edition was just over the price of one, but (in my opinion) accurately covers 12 years of music from Doves.

And it's worth buying. They've really put heaps of thought in how to assemble this mix of tracks and each compliments the last well.

The B-sides are definitely worth the extra money.

Favourites?
  • BLACK AND WHITE TOWN.
  • Pounding
  • The Man Who Told Everything (they include a "Summer Version" in this. The only difference I can tell is a more elaborate violin or "orchestral" structure).
  • Caught By The River
  • Northenden
  • Darker - has actually been a favourite before this album, the first Doves track I ever heard.
  • Friday's Dust
  • At The Tower - an instrumental track.
  • Reprise - is it me, or is it just a more raw, instrumental, slower version of The Man Who Told Everything?
  • Almost Forgot Myself (Demo)
  • THE CEDAR ROOM. This track is AMAZING.
So if you're new to Doves, I recommend buying this. Saves a LOT of money and you get a brilliant overview of their last 12 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment