Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The reason why Valentine's Day is overrated and tacky and unromantic.


So every Valentine's Day, I'm usually sad because I usually have no significant other, despite all the fantasies my reality-repellent imagination would spin. Not this year, somehow. I had one of those amazing epiphanies.

Why pull out all the stops to impress your significant other on the one day, instead of every day? I'm telling you, Valentines Day-related things would be so much more appreciated if they were random things on random days.

Valentine's puts everyone on guard and ruins the element of surprise. They expect something or other to happen and are either less surprised or most disappointed because nothing happened.

And if there's at least one thing I know - from experience, let alone at all in these situations - it's the element of surprise and how it can be used advantageously for both sides.

And Valentine's isn't even restricted to significant others. Friends, family, random strangers, it's about celebrating universal love. Most people just take Valentine's to mean romantic love. Hence making it somewhat tacky for romantic love.

Maybe I'm feeling this way because I haven't met Mr. Trench Coat yet and skipped off into the sunset, but this is how I feel about the day presently; not expecting anything, while celebrating untackily with the people I do have and not with fantasies of those I wish I had.

No comments:

Post a Comment