Sunday, October 14, 2012

Sometimes work cushions the living.



So I've got a new job. That's the announcement.

It's still waitressing, but at a place much closer to me. I was incredibly lucky to get this job; no more waiting for trams at night. It is something I'm going to miss; seeing the city by night, but it's just not worth the constant exhaustion and easy-meals that come with it.

Tram Light Streams, Melbourne, VIC

I left the old job (a year and four months) fairly amicably. I'm going to miss co-workers and regular customers. But it just felt right. Time to move on. 

I was very disoriented during my first training shift tonight, as is everyone who decides to swap jobs. The old job pretty much equipped me for the new one - though there's always something new to learn. The constant refrain of "I'm new here," is back, and people took it easy. A new menu to learn, a new space to get the feel of, and new people to meet and get to know.


I also have a Seth Green doppelgänger co-worker.

Things are looking up. I'm looking after myself. I'm happy. I've found a renewed zest for everything. Life is far too short to timidly sit on the sidelines and watch everything fly by. That much I've learned in the past year.

No comments:

Post a Comment