Friday, January 28, 2011

When The Good Times Were Coming.

So I was in Melbourne for a couple of days, and happened to find out that THE VASCO ERA were playing at Federation Square for FREE and it COINCIDED WITH MY STAY.

Apologies for the ALL CAPS, but after seeing them last year, I knew this was something I could absolutely not miss.

So after failed attempts to include friends* and bodyguards**, I went alone.

And loved every minute of it.

They had these wacky (but practical) cardboard chair thingies.
Brace yourself, for the ADVERTISATION.


An interview, I think.
Sound check.
So they started to play. Sid started things quiet because he wanted people to stay when it’s quiet, then be surprised at their normally loud stuff. 


Then he kicked it up about five notches with Kingswood while Ted and Michael got on stage.


After a couple of songs, the band was thinking of another song to play.  I yelled out “LUCILLE!” into the brief silence. Mr. Sid O’Neil himself looked right at me, then after a moment said, “This one’s for you over there.”

And then they PLAYED the song.
LUCILLE.
FOR ME.
And I died of awesome.
I’m including it right here for you.

...the camera at the start may have been trying to find me. :D

They wrapped it up with good ol’ “Honey Bee (When It Was Making Weird Love Songs)” and all the fans jumped up to form a crowd around the stage. About four people were chosen to dance on stage (not me, sadly, I would’ve gone crazy up there!) and Mr. Michael Fitzgerald ended up dismantling his drum kit so that they could all bang on something as the song built to its crescendo.

Went up afterwards to Sid, who was shaking everybody’s hands. He shook mine, he recognised me (“we played your song” with this grin) and that was that.

I’m so glad I went. A definite highlight of this year.
Even the to/from journeys on the train. I was just soaking it all up and not taking it for granted.
Public transport etiquette. It’s like getting back on a unicorn …after months of mediocrity with a kangaroo.

I haven’t even moved here yet, and I’m already reaping the benefits.
Don’t worry Melbourne, I’ll be back soon…

*the delightful Melway. Hope you’re feeling better when you read this.
**lazy cousins, who I would give my left leg to see right now. If you’re reading this, you made me so very, very sad.


…not kidding. NO TACOS FOR YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment