Thursday, December 16, 2010

Shiver/Linger review

I've chosen to review these on different days.

Wednesday, 8th of December:
At this point I've only read Shiver with Linger just bought and on my bedside table.


Shiver? AMAZING. Five out of five. Stiefvater builds the characters into investments that the reader can benefit from. I actually cared about the characters, more so than I normally would have. The suspense is built beautifully between Grace and Sam, so you could actually feel the intensity of this storyline. The storyline is packed to almost breaking point, but it doesn't feel that way while reading it; you actually crave for more when you put the book down. The narrative shifts from Grace and Sam's perspectives, including the temperature of the scene, a wonderfully unique touch (in Celsius, thank goodness, converting them to Fahrenheit the entire time would have driven me crazy!). I recommend you read this immediately.

Thursday, 16th of December
I'd reread Shiver before starting on Linger.


Linger? Admittedly, not as amazing. Not as grabbing as Shiver. Graces's parents just seem an annoyance in the plot, as their emotional absence from Grace was established in Shiver and they get the entirely wrong idea after they finds them together in her room. It just escalates and illustrates their control issues, really. After you read the prologue and see the cover, the reader gets the general gist of the story and it's ruined the element of the surprise ending; which is what makes Shiver so powerful. There are new perspectives in the story; Isabel and a new wolf Cole. The temperatures are gone, but this is understandable as the suspense of Sam shifting ends with in Shiver and rendering the temperatures useless.

One thing that grabbed me about both books were - well, the covers, yes - but also sometimes the stream of consciousness between characters. Grace's perspective was straightforward and logical, and Sam's consisted of some song lyrics of his creation entwined with the happenings of the story.

"You're like a song I heard when I was a little kid but forgot I knew until I heard it again."


Forever will be released July 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment